Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Let Them Eat Cake: Amira's Shadow Box Card and Frames

Hello Crafty Friends!

Hasn't the month just flown by?
Well you know what they say - time flies when you're having fun..... and drinking tea... and eating cake!
Today we bring you our final May project... Amira's shadow box card and frames. I hope you'll be as inspired as I am and try making one yourselves :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLxsWZgkWocVWX4tusytduA



Dear Crafter,

I have wanted to make my own shadow box for AGES and as soon as I saw the beautiful papers in the May Kit I knew that this is the month to do it in.

I went in search of a good tutorial and I have found one!
Making shadow boxes is NOT hard, but it is a bit fiddly so it took me a few goes to master it perfectly but boy is it worth it once you've found your rhythm.

I will direct you over to this GREAT TUTORIAL that Becky Roberts did for Split Coast Stampers. She has detailed measurements, step by step pictures and also a video for how she did it.
She did such a great job with her tutorial, that I don't think I could do a better job so I will just send you over there.

Her tutorial is for a Shadow Box Card which just produces the cutest card ever.
Here is mine!





When you flip over the cover, you get to see the frame of the shadow box on which I applied BoBunny's Glitter Paste to to give it some sparkle. 






And looking inside the frame, you can see that I paper pieced (refer to my paper piecing video if you haven't seen it already) the stacked tea cup stamp from the High Tea Stamp set with beautiful papers from the High Tea Collection by Kaisercraft from the May Kit.





A paper doily as a background and those adorable epoxy stickers and a cut apart sentiment really add a sweet feel to the card.

Behind the frame, you have a double layout to write a long essay of sentiments if you wish or you could stamp something like the Hallmark people do - I left it blank because I write essays ;)




And I just had to give you a close up of that awesome macaron washi and those adorable macaron epoxy stickers!




They are SO HAPPY!

So once I made the shadow box card, I knew I wanted to make some shadow box frames and that was really easy to adapt from the tutorial.




All I did was used an entire 12" x 12" kraft card stock and then scored at 0.5", 1.0", 1.5", 2.0" all the way round.
Then I chose one side to score @2.5" until the second score line just as Becky did in her tutorial to give the box the ability to tuck within itself (do the tutorial first, then you will know what Im talking about).

From there you get this Shadow Box Frame.




It measures 8.5" x 8.5" with a 7" insert area.

I decorated 3 of these.

Shadow Box Frame #1 - You make life beautiful 




For this one, I used the double sided pattern paper 'Cup and Saucer' from the High Tea Collection.
The paper makes the most gorgeous frame that you hardly need to do any more decorating.

All I did was added a doily, a 5 layer paper pieced stacked tea cup embellishment (which I showed in my previous blog HERE) and die-cut glitter foam using the Layered Cake D-Lites die set to make that yummy cake embellishments. I also added the handmade donuts which you can find in an earlier post from this month HERE.



Here is a close look at the layered stacked tea cups (LOTS of fussy cutting here!).



Shadow Box Frame #2 - Friendship

I adore this sentiment which was a border from the 'ShortCake' patterned paper in High Tea.
I added it to the 'Biscuit' patterned paper and loved how it turned out.





I chose to make the frame out of a pink patterned glitter card stock from my collection and thought the green and pink combination would work well together and I think it does.
A little doily and lace from my stash echoes the doily pattern peeking in the paper and remind me of having tea with my Nanna (miss you so much still!).
From there, I found myself reaching for the feathers from the kit and the prima roses and also for ribbon roses. It was like something inside was taking over.









And finally that GORGOUES tea cup sticker by 7 Gypsies.
I felt it needed to be on there too.





Shadow Box Frame #3 - Be your Own Kind of Beautiful

For this Shadow Box Frame, I wanted to use a picture and found this gorgeous old picture of my mom as a little girl.




Once again, I LOVE this paper 'Tea Time' which adds it's own little cluster of elements to the lower left hand side of the frame. 






To balance it, I added the photo to the top right hand side of the frame and bordered it with a little bit of lace. Underneath, I decided to add a doily which I stencilled with metallic gold Creative Medium and Kaisercraft's 'butterfly skies' stencil.



A few more appropriately placed Prima and ribbon flowers around the frame as well as that lovely peach coloured feather which just went perfectly with the color on the paper.




So here is what my shadow box collection looks like so far.




Really loving this at the moment and have a few more ideas and scenes I want to put together.
Stay tuned for more :)

I did do a quick show and tell video HERE
xxAmiraInOz









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...