Monday, June 5, 2017

How Does Lolly's Garden Grow? With a Shadowbox!

Hello Crafty Friends!

Even though it's winter now down here in Aussie Land, our June Kit celebrates the lovely weather our Northern Hemisphere friends are experiencing. With flowers, sunshine and kindness we ask...... How Does Your Garden Grow?
Today Lolly shares her garden inspired shadow box. Enjoy! ....



I was digging through my stuff-that-needs-to-be-altered and came across this shadowbox kit from Tim Holtz.   I had picked it up on clearance and decided that I needed to use it with this paper collection!


The kraft color of the boxes was too dark, so I painted them all with acrylic paint.  Adding a bit of yellow to the white toned down the intensity of the white and made the project bright but not overpowering.  The boxes are very absorbent so I had to add two coats of this mixture.  I could definitely add another coat, but I decided I liked the imperfect sponged look with the two layers.



Then I looked through the cut apart sentiments in the paper collection from this awesome kit, and I trimmed them down to fit into the backs of the boxes. Mod Podge was the perfect glue to secure the papers to the backs of the boxes.


 Time for embellishments!   This was fun digging through my stash and the kit.  I used the bird cage charm from the kit and even birds that I cut apart from the washi tape!  I just put the washi on paper and then fussy cut around the birds.  They add so much sweetness to the project.

The three smallest boxes seemed too little for this project, and by leaving them out, I could cut a Scrabble tile rack to size and use the letters to spell out "garden."


When I first completed the project, it was too busy.  The multi colored rick rack distracted me, so I pulled off all the horizontal strips and replaced them with the white lace in the kit.  It was the perfect width and helped to "calm" the project down a notch.   Isn't that Julie Nutting doll on the left side of the frame perfect?  She brought her gardening basket along with her, too!


For a closeup of each of the boxes in the project, you can watch the video HERE.

Thank you for stopping by to have a look!   You can check out the availability of this month's kit HERE.

Blooms and blessings,
Lolly

http://www.LollyPalooza.net


1 comment:

  1. Well lolly.you have done it again....another gorgeous project.....well done

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...