Sunday, December 17, 2017

A Month of Christmas Crafting 2017 - Suzanne's Large Explosion Box

Hello Crafty Friends!
Wow the days are flying by! It's only a week till Christmas so get ready for a whole lot of Christmas craft!! And hopefully you'll have some time to join in the crafty fun!
Today Suzanne creates a brilliant explosion box with the sweetest surprise in the centre....





Well, what an amazing year it has been. I have had a wonderful time being a part of the talented and beautiful creative team for Aunty Vera. The December kit is beautiful and just a pleasure to craft with.

The project that I am doing for December is a large explosion box that measures 6 x 6 inches and inside that it has another box at 5 x 5 inches and then inside that a special little surprise.  I hope you enjoy having a look at this project.

This beautiful BoBunny paper forms the basis of these boxes.  For each box I have used 3 pieces of 12 x 12 cardstock for the box bases and then another 3 pieces of cream cardstock for the layers of the cover panels.


The 12 x 12 cardstock is cut into 2 pieces of 12 x 6 cardstock and scored at 6 inches for the 6 x 6 box.
For the 5 x 5 inch box, the cardstock needs to be cut at 5 x 10 inches and scored at 5 inches and you need 4 of these.


You will need 4 pieces of this


These four pieces are glued together on the base so that the base is four layers thick.


The lid uses the other piece of 12 x 12 cardstock.

This is the instructions for the lid of the 6 x 6 box. For a 6 x 6 inch box you need to measure a piece of cardstock at 8 1/8 inches square and score at 1 inch all the way around.  This works for any size box.  For the 5 inch box, I measure a lid that was 7 1/8 inch square and scored at 1 inch to form the sides of the lid.  The 1/8 of an inch is added on because there have been 8 more layers of paper and cardstock added to the outside of the box and this 1/8 inch gives enough room for the lid to fix snugly.


For each cover panel of the box, I cut a piece of cream cardstock at 5 7/8 inch (9 of them) 4 for the outside panels and 5 for the inside panel including the inside base of the box.  You also need to cut one for the lid.  This will measure 6 x 6 because the lid is a little bigger than the side panels.
For the 5 x 5 inch box, just adjust your measurement accordingly.


Because the cream cardstock panel is 1/8 inch smaller than the box sides, you are left with a small border all around the panel. 


 I then cut the paper I wanted to use at 5 6/8 inch square
I used the carousel horse


and the deer images from the gorgeous paper


 and two of the 4 x 6 cut-a-parts for the outside of the box


I chose the blue with cream polka dots paper for the inside panels


The outside panels


The inside panels
For the inside panels, I used some of my dies to decorate.


 For the lid I made a large rosette which I have glittered up and added a store bought decoration.


5 x 5 inch box
 This is the lid of the inside 5 x 5 inch box.  I have used the lovely stampingbella stamp and then used some diecuts to form the top of the tree.  I also used the wink of stella pen to add sparkle to the lid.  Unfortunately, my pictures don't do it justice.  It looks really pretty.  I also add panels to the side of the lid to give it strength.  Just use measurements 1/8 of an inch smaller than the piece that needs to be covered.


The outside panels for the 5 x 5 inch box have been covered with one of the beautiful papers and then I used the cut-a-parts page to do a collage of the elements.


For the inside panels of the 5 x 5 inch box I used some more of my dies to decorate. 


Inside the 5 x 5 inch box, I decorated a cloche with one of the gorgeous trees that were in the December kit and then used a santa rubber and some Christmas buttons to make a cute little Christmas scene.





 Here are the pictures of the finished box.





Here you can see that I used some of the lucky dip wood elements that were in the December kit.





















 I hope you enjoyed having a look at my explosion box. 

You can watch a video of me putting this explosion box together HERE.

You can get the kit from Aunty Vera HERE.

Thank you for joining me today
xx Suzanne xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...